The FDA is gathering public opinions on the proposed CBD containing products rule. Scientific data is being researched to deepen their understanding of the substance. The comments come from cannabis consumers, supporters, and individuals who have concerns about its harmful effects.
The opinions revolve around:
- People that are not only using CBD to self-medicate but also treat their pets of pain, cancer, arthritis, and anxiety.
- Pet owners are using their animals to gauge their reaction to CBD so as decide whether to use it
- Pet owners have also used CBD on cats and dogs in the hope that it would alter their jerky and irritable behavior.
- Pet parents who have given their pets CBD during situations like traveling and holidays. Such activities and fireworks are stressful to the dogs
Most people are using CBD or cannabidiol to treat anxiety, pain, insomnia and skin illnesses. However, there is an increase in the use of CBD on pets to treat similar concerns.
CBD is a non-psychoactive component in marijuana — meaning it does not induce a high effect upon consumption. The marijuana ingredient that causes psychoactive effects is THC or tetrahydrocannabinol which is low (no more than 0.03%) or lacks in CBD.
CBD for Pets — Effects and Results
Pet owners, however, are going the extra mile to provide their animals with optimum comfort from spoiling them with high-quality foods and pet supplements to high-end accessories. Therefore, while the Food and Drug Administration is working towards the regulation of cannabis products on dietary food and supplements, pet owners have taken it upon themselves to treat their pets with CBD induced products. So what are the potential therapeutic benefits of using CBD on pets?
- The calming effect in uncomfortable situations: Pets as well feel discomfort as a result of old age or illnesses such as arthritis that cause stiffness and pain making mobility difficult. Thus, CBD is given to an animal pet to make at ease thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
I give it to my tiny dog on July fourth, now he just gets annoyed by the fireworks instead of nervous pic.twitter.com/gSGxjPpHQy
— penni is movin on (@Pennijj) October 3, 2018
- Possibly help reduce seizures: Cannabidiol is known as a natural soother, a property that has increased curiosity in its ability to treat symptoms related to epilepsy. Also, CBD can be used to tone down the occurrences of seizures making it even more likely to be used to treat epilepsy.
So um, a little personal news, lil' mijo has cancer. My vet gave me options, so instead of putting his 12 yo self through radiation, he's going on a low-histamine, all natural, no-grain diet, taking CBD supplements & occasional steroids if I start noticing he's in pain. (1 / ) pic.twitter.com/Soeca3I8bF
— Denise Eff (@DeniseFlores) June 10, 2019
- Help manage anxiety: Similarly, to most animals in new environments and happenings, pets are likely to get agitated and one popular solution is CBD oil for dogs. It lowers down the stress level making them calm and less aggressive.
Gave my dog CBD treats for her anxiety and I think it’s working pic.twitter.com/fuQDPQV2xT
— Lenie Ventura (@marshymell0ww) March 31, 2019
Other benefits may include providing an energy boost, improved recovery and focus, treat obesity and an array of other ailments pets may be suffering. But despite such prospects, a valid question people still ask is why use CBD while there medicine to cure your pet’s ailments? The answer is because CBD is natural and some people prefer letting nature take its toll. Also, among the regulations is to test the CBD oils and other products for contaminants by third-party labs.
Nevertheless, unlike with CBD products for humans, there hasn’t been sufficient exploring the efficacy of CBD pet products and their effects.
View this post on Instagram
As many you know, I’m deaf that causes me to suffer from severe anxiety. Yesterday we went to @wagcentral to burn off much needed energy. While we were there Mom and Dad were asking about other solutions to try to help me for anxiety. They recommend to try CBD Oil! So we are official on day two of being on it! So far I feel absolutely great! I haven’t had a panic attack yet. It’s very calming and I feel less irritable. I stopped my crying and weeping. I am also a lot more focus now. I’m doing better listening to mom and dad also! I also slept like a baby. I tend to have sleepless nights and last night I was sound to sleep. Please follow me on my journey while I try #cbdoil for my anxiety. CBD Oil: @hempworxofficialsite You can purchase it from @wagcentral #wagcentral #wagcentralct #cbd #cbdoil #hempworx #cbddog #deafdog #dogswithanxiety #dogo #dogoargentino #dogoargentinolove #dogoargentinoworld #dogoargentinousa #dogofinstagram #argentinedogo #mastiff #mastiffsofinstagram #argentinemastiff
CBD Marketing Issue
The American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation is investing approximately $2 million for clinical trials on the use of CBD for drug-resistant epilepsy in dogs. Also, a scientist at Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine has examined the efficacy of CBD for dogs with arthritis pain.
Due to CBD’s non-psychotic, consumers can access its products in almost all states in the USA. For instance, Quirky Pet in Montpelier sells walnut-sized cookies with CBD while across the street AroMed Essentials, stocks several CBD options for pets, including a joint supplement. Most of the pet products are similar to those targeted at humans, but bacon flavored.
View this post on Instagram
Thank you @discreettreatzaz for my CBD dog treats they are organic, grain free, gluten free, and they are delicious! I got the sweet potato chews & the peanut pumpkin cookies. Be sure to check out their website they ship worldwide ! 🌎 🥔🥜🎃 🍪 #cbdfordogs #CBD #cbddogtreats #doggiegram #dogsofinstagram #doglovers #happydoggie #healthydogs #pethealth #alaskankleekai #akk #kleekai #kleekaiworld #dogsofusa #kleekaination #bigwoof #alaskankleekaiofinstagram #huskies #minihusky
However, since CBD is being marketed as a drug, — meaning it is intended to have therapeutic effects like curing an illness- it is regulated and cannot be sold without FDA approval.
This is especially in marketing and accessing CBD in food, including dietary supplements. Hence, FDA is reliant on scientific research on CBD and its effects. But despite its potential medical benefits there have been identified certain risks such as chances for liver injury.
Therefore, FDA is not only hoping to straighten the uncertainty about the safety of CBD consumption but also defines laws of marketing CBD marketing products in food substances. At the end of the day, stakeholders hope to have clarity on:
- terminologies and labels on all CBD-derived products
- safety standards and vigorous enforcement on marketing, selling and consumption of related products
- results of research evaluating the therapeutic, medicinal and other effects of consuming products containing cannabidiol
- Laid out industrial standards addressing prospective cannabis-derived products quality issues with some cannabis-derived products.
So far CBD has not shown any dramatic effects on either human users or the four-legged consumers meaning its use might continue for a while.
This is because both pets such as dogs and cats have an endocannabinoid system like humans meaning the CBD interacts with the body similarly to them. Nevertheless, people should be cautious, ask vets advice, and take factors such as the size of the pet into account before giving them CBD products. In case one is in doubt it is advisable to ask for professional advice or a certificate of analysis of the product.